Jerusalem - In a day of drama, Israel's Mossad spy agency and the army have both come under attack.
The Mossad, it has emerged, knew of a terror threat in Kenya before last week's attacks but failed to warn Israeli citizens.
And the army's actions in shooting dead a 95-year-old Palestinian woman in Ramallah have triggered charges of "war crimes".
The head of a rival military intelligence service told a parliamentary committee that Mossad had "received advance information on planned al-Qaeda attacks in Africa, and notably Mombasa in Kenya".
General Yossi Kuperwasser was answering Labour Party secretary-general Ofer Pines, who was questioning the Mossad's competence for the second time this week.
On Sunday, he condemned the spy agency's "failure" to warn its citizens of a terrorist threat.
Three Israelis were among the 13 victims of Thursday's suicide car-bomb attack on a hotel in Mombasa.
Minutes earlier, a tourist-packed Israeli charter flying 261 passengers back from Mombasa to Tel Aviv was targeted by two missiles, which missed their target.
Kuperwasser stressed that the information received gave no indication as to when Osama bin Laden's network would strike nor did it specify that Israelis would be targeted.
But his remarks were the first admission of shortcomings on the part of the Israeli intelligence services.
Meanwhile, violence continued in the Palestinian territories and claimed its oldest victim since the beginning of the Intifada in September 2000.
Fatmah Obeid, 95, was shot dead by soldiers who opened fire on a crowd of Palestinians queueing to enter the West Bank town of Ramallah, said Palestinian medical sources.
A reporter on the scene said the woman was in the back of a stationary car when she was hit by two bullets.
Top Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat described the incident as a war crime and likened it to the killing of an elderly Palestinian man, who was crushed by the rubble of his house, dynamited on Sunday by the army in the Gaza Strip.
In the same building, which the army said sheltered a wanted Islamic militant, were 500 tons of food destined for needy Palestinians.
The demolition drew condemnation from the United Nations and the World Food Programme.
On Tuesday a group of foreign UN workers in the occupied territories protested anew at the November 22 killing in Jenin of their colleague Iain Hook.
"We condemn the Israeli army in the strongest possible terms for its wanton act against an unarmed man," said a petition signed by 64 foreign UN staff.
The petition called on Israel's government to "take the necessary steps to stop the harassment, beating and killing of UN staff".
Meanwhile, fresh accusations over Israeli intelligence failures in Kenya are likely to pile further pressure on the Mossad and is sparking a diplomatic incident as Israel questions Kenya's ability to lead an efficient inquiry.
"We believe this country does not have the technological means nor the experts to successfully complete this mission," said Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's spokesperson.
Meanwhile Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz said al-Qaeda had made several botched attempts to stage attacks in Israel.- Sapa-AFP