The eThekwini municipality has written to the Africa Cup of Nation’s local organising committee (LOC) asking that the committee “keep the city in the running” as a possible host city.
The letter, sent to LOC chief executive Mvuzo Mbebe on April 13, also called on the committee to address the city’s concerns regarding costs and risks in hosting the football tournament.
The full letter is expected to be submitted for noting at Wednesday’s executive committee meeting.
It was sent after the council failed to meet the deadline two weeks ago to sign a host city agreement.
The city, along with Cape Town and Joburg municipalities, have raised concerns over the financial implications of the host city agreement.
Last week, municipal manager Sibusiso Sithole said the city still did not know what it would cost to host the tournament and how much the national department would have to pay.
In earlier reports he had said it could cost eThekwini “more than R50 million”.
Opposition parties have objected to the city hosting the tournament, saying it would be a waste of ratepayers’ money.
According to the LOC, eight cities responded positively to the bids and made their presentations last month.
The SA Football Association is expected to announce the host cities next week. - Daily News
© 1999 - 2010 Independent Online. All rights strictly reserved.
Independent Online is a wholly owned subsidiary of Independent News & Media. Reliance on the information this site contains is at your own risk.